Saturday, February 21, 2009

Quotes and Ponderances: As a part...

It came to mind yesterday while I was driving that I ought to find some things to consider, ponder, or otherwise meditate on. Why did this come to mind?

Truth be told, I was listening to a song and was taken back to my days at Ferris. Specifically, I remember that in one of my dorm rooms, someone had etched a little saying into the wall. I can only remember the first few words, so I'll fill in the rest with my best recollection. Lightly written in pencil, It said:

"As a part of the greater whole"

I always wondered where this thought came from, why it was written on the wall, what the person who wrote it thought as they wrote it. I often let those words roll around in my head. Never once did it occur to me to get some soap and water and wash the scribblings from the wall.

Flash back to me driving, and once again the words were bouncing through my brain as I drove. I wondered first if those words were still inscribed on the wall. Next, I considered again what they meant. I took the words, formed them around my life as we all do when we hear something with any amount of depth, be it a lyric, a quote, or simply and offhand statement.

I am a part of something greater than myself. What I do is not simply for myself. Frequently, what I do is motivated by those around me, and what effects it will have on them. I want what I do to be of benefit to more people than just myself.

So instead of simply seeking out words to meditate on, I want to take this one step further and record my thoughts. Hence, the blog that you are now reading.

According to most dictionaries, ponderances is not a word. However, according to this UrbanDictionary.com entry (that I agree with completely) ponderances are:

Ponderous thoughts to be ponderously pondered. Basically, if there is an adverb, adjective, and verb of ponder, then it stands to reason that there ought to be a noun as well.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome, as are contributing authors.

Welcome to Quotes and Ponderances.

No comments:

Post a Comment